Friday, March 23, 2012

Just Call Me Frog Lady

I admit it--I love frogs and toads. They're "cute" (?) and I just love the way they sound (better than a lullaby, in my book). Their choruses are my favorite summer nighttime sound. So, when Dale and I found out about the volunteer programs for Jefferson County Open Space Parks, guess which program was my first pick?

Dale and I signed up as Open Space volunteers, requesting Pine Valley Open Space Park, just a couple of miles down the road from us. In addition to my tracking and charting frog calls and choruses, we will be weed mapping and inspecting trails. Dale will also be observing Peragrine falcons at Cathedral Spires, which is also close to us.

the lake at Pine Valley

Our volunteer stints even include Cool Gear to make as feel Really Important, like this special vest and red-filter flashlight that won't freak out those little frogs at night:

I have been doing my homework: listening to and memorizing the calls of six local frogs/toads. By the time I start next month, I think I'll be ready!
Ribbit! Ribbit!
Fun Facts:
Frogs are smooth and slimy or wet, while toads are bumpy and dry.
Frogs love water--toads not so much.
Frog hind legs are longer than toad hind legs (toads walk more than jump).
Most toads have poison glands behind their ears (!)

Check back in next month for updates on this adventure!


No comments:

Post a Comment